Property | 7 October 2021 3 min read

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Queensland Property Purchaser

Brief Facts on Queensland Property Market

According to CoreLogic’s report in September 2021, Brisbane’s dwelling values have risen 10.6% in the last year and are now at new highs. Queensland’s property market is now experiencing a massive surge in price and popularity in Australia and is attracting overseas investors as well.


Frequently Asked Questions for Queensland Property Purchaser

1. Do you need to review the contract before signing?

A standard Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) Contract or its equivalents will usually be used to evidence the purchase and sale of a residential property in Queensland. While these types of contracts contain standard terms, it is critical that you have a property lawyer to review the contract before signing to ensure that the contract does not contain any terms and conditions which are unusual or have significant impact on the use of the property.. 


2. Are verbal agreements surrounding the signing of the contract binding on the parties?

The contract for sale typically includes a clause confirming the contract records all agreements of the transaction. Unless the verbal agreements, promises, representations etc have been noted in the contract, these items will not be binding on the parties. Hence, you should engage a lawyer to draft the appropriate clauses reflecting the parties’ verbal agreements and put them in writing before it is signed.


3. In Queensland, what kind of conditional clauses can you negotiate into the contract?

It is not uncommon to negotiate the following conditions to the contract in Queensland:

  • Subject to Finance;
  • Subject to a Building & Pest Inspection;
  • Subject to Body Corporate Searches;
  • Subject to further Due Diligence (which can be anything at the buyer’s discretion); or
  • Subject to a Rent Back (if the sellers have not purchased elsewhere).


4. How can I make the Contract subject to Finance?

The standard REIQ Contract already provides adequate protection for purchasers who wish to make the contract conditional on finance approval. The purchaser needs to make sure that the ‘Finance’ section of the REIQ Contract is completed correctly. It is best to ask your lawyer to double check to make sure this condition is correct.


5. How much deposit should the purchaser pay under a contract?

The deposit amount is usually determined by the parties’ agreement. The deposit is usually paid in two instalments in Queensland. An initial deposit of a nominal amount is typically paid by the purchaser upon signing the contract, with the balance of the deposit due when the contract becomes unconditional or at a later agreed date (usually on the expiry of the cooling off period). 

The deposit is frequently viewed as a means of gauging a purchaser’s interest in the property. Vendors in Queensland usually ask for at least 5% deposit. Most require a 10% deposit.


6. Do you need to buy insurance for the property prior to settlement?

As a purchaser, the property becomes at your risk beginning at 5 p.m. on the second business days following the date of the contract. Although the vendor is responsible for the property during the settlement period, it is highly recommended and in your best interest to buy insurance for the property so that you can be certain that a third party will step in to protect you, should there be any hazard on the property. 

Building insurance is the most common type of insurance purchased by a purchaser prior to   settlement. If you are purchasing an existing residential house, then a standard building insurance with public liability coverage is preferable. If you buy into a strata scheme, the body corporate has to maintain a building insurance on the property and the common properties. You are not required to obtain your own building insurance on this basis. You may also consult a lawyer to check if you need to purchase any other forms of insurance for your particular circumstances.


7. What is settlement?

In short, you are required to pay the balance of the purchase price plus any necessary adjustments to the vendor in exchange for the vendor transferring the title of the property to you. It is also called ‘completion’ because it is the completion of the contract for sale and purchase of the property. 


Should you have any further enquiries on the Queensland’s conveyancing, please do not hesitate to contact our property lawyer.

Contact us to get more information.

Contact Us

Related stories

  • Freezing Order – Avoid dissipation of assets

    Freezing order, also known as Mareva Injunction, is a court order to preserve the disputed assets of the ongoing proceedings (Freezing Order). The Freezing Order can restrain a party from dealing with certain assets, e.g. disposing, hiding or removing assets.
    Litigation | 5 October 2021
  • What is a Building Information Certificate? When should I get one?

    Building Information Certificate A Building Information Certificate (formerly known as building certificate) is a certificate issued by the local Council promising not to take any legal actions or issue any orders concerning the improvements (e.g. house, shed, garage, building etc) on the property for a period of 7 years from the date of the certificate. […]
    Property | 22 September 2021
  • Why should property purchasers obtain a survey report?

    Why should property purchasers obtain a survey report? A survey report is a report prepared by a registered surveyor. The report usually includes a plan which identifies the land’s measurements and boundaries. The report will also reveal whether the improvement(s) on the land (e.g. a shed, garage, house, etc) and the fences have encroached onto the neighbour’s land.
    Property | 22 September 2021
  • What is General Skilled Migration (GSM)?

    General Skilled Migration (GSM) The General Skilled Migration Visa is an Australian work visa program for skilled migrants that primarily benefit skilled workers who wish to live and work in Australia on a permanent basis. This visa is also available to those who may obtain sponsorship from an Australian employer.   There are four types […]
    Migration | 6 August 2021
  • Recent changes to Subclass 188 Visa and the new Business Innovation and Investment Program (BIIP)

    Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 188) Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Visa, also known as Subclass 188 Visa allows you to own and manage a business in Australia, conduct business and investment in Australia, and engage in entrepreneurial activity in Australia.   Recent changes to Subclass 188 Visa The Australian government has made […]
    Migration | 5 August 2021
  • Business Visa Reform on Business Innovation and Investment Program from 1 July 2021

    Business Visa Reform on Business Innovation and Investment Program In general, the Australian business skills migration scheme will undergo a number of significant changes beginning on 1 July 2021. The following are the significant changes: The program will be reduced from nine (9) to four (4) streams, with the elimination of the two (2) streams […]
    Migration | 4 August 2021
  • What is Business and Investment Visa (Subclass 188 Visa)?

    Business and Investment (Provisional) Visa[1] The Business and Investment (Provisional) Visa Subclass 188 is a provisional visa for people with business skills, which allows you to operate a new or existing business, conduct business and investment activity in Australia. The Visa Subclass 188 is a provisional visa that allows the applicant to stay in Australia […]
    Migration | 3 August 2021
  • What is Global Talent Independent Program (GTI Visa)?

    Global Talent Independent Program (GTI Visa) The Global Talent Visa Subclass 858 is a special Australian visa for applicants who have an internationally excellent record of brilliant and outstanding achievements in a specific field. Visa subclass 858 is a permanent visa that allows the applicant to enter and stay in the country for an indefinite […]
    Migration | 2 August 2021
  • Tax-related matters in purchasing a property in New South Wales

    Purchasing a property in New South Wales requires you to pay several taxes which include transfer duty, (also known as stamp duty) for residential property, Premium Property Duty (for property over $3 million), surcharge purchaser duty (for foreign purchasers) and Goods and Services Tax on commercial and industrial property.
    Property | 29 July 2021
  • Defer stamp duty payment for eligible off-the-plan purchasers

    Off-the-plan purchasers may be able to defer paying for the stamp duty for up to 12 months after signing the contract, or until the property is completed or handed over, whichever comes first, on the basis that the property will be used as a principal place of residence.
    Property | 26 July 2021
  • Buying a property in NSW as a foreigner

    Buying a property in Australia as a foreigner is subject to additional restrictions. We discuss these restrictions below. Definition of a foreign person It is important to know if you are classified under the key term ‘foreign person’ under the current legislation as a foreign person is subject to a number of obligations under the […]
    Property | 7 July 2021
  • NSW Government Assistance for First Home Buyers

    If you are a first home buyer in New South Wales, you may be eligible for government assistance to own a home with duty exemption (or concession) and/or a one-off grant of $10,000.
    Property | 7 July 2021